Vegan Youkilis (Vegan Shepherd’s Pie)
Wait what…vegan Shepherd’s Pie. Created by Tyler for the second challenge. No jokes.
It will take about an hour to prep, and 25 minutes to cook. It’s an interpretation of this recipe.
1/2 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
6 Tbs. butter alternative (vegetable oil will do)
1 lb. mixed fresh mushrooms (cremini, chanterelle, shiitake, etc), cleaned, stemmed, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1/4 cup minced shallot
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup dry sherry
1-1/2 cups homemade vegetable stock
3 Tbs. tomato paste
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
4 tsp. softened butter alternative mixed with 4 tsp. flour to form a smooth paste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large Yuca
1 medium Yukon Gold Potato
1 Tbs. of olive oil
1 sprig rosemary (optional)
Here’s how it breaks down:
- Toss asparagus into boiling water until lightly cooked (2-3 minutes depending on diameter of stock). Remove, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add 2 Tbs of butter alternative to the mushrooms and cook on medium-high heat until they have lost their juices. Turn up the heat and cook until nearly dry. It should take about 20 minutes total. Remove, and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, and put in pealed and cubed potato and yuca.
- In the same skillet, saute shallots, scallions and garlic.
- Add sherry and de-glaze pan by scraping down edges. Reduce until syrup-y.
- Add vegetable stock and tomato paste and continue to reduce until it has thickened significantly.
- Whisk in flower/butter mix to thicken and stir until it seems like it would make a good base.
- Add reserved asparagus and mushrooms, stir in to re-heat, and pour into 2-quart baking pan.
- Remove cooked potatoe & yuca and smash with 2 tbs of butter alternative, put mixture on top of vegetable base in baking pan. Brush olive oil on top, and press in a sprig of rosemary to doll things up.
- Cook at 375 for about 25 minutes, until tops of potatoes are golden brown.
- Enjoy with a side salad and think of the bus!